Saturday, August 15, 2009

And the internship begins

I have been an intern for exactly 2 week s now and it's been a great start. Of course all the initial orientations and training are a little boring but you gotta go through it, unfortunately I still have another site that I haven't started at yet, so I will have to do it all again soon. The good thing with not starting the other site yet, is that it has provided me the opportunity to work everyday at my other site which has been helpful and has made me feel more comfortable there right away. I have already been to the county jail twice in order to conduct 1370 evaluations, which are basically evaluations on people who are possibly incompetent to stand trial. I love it and have never done them before so it's definitely a new experience. Going to the jail is quite an experience and something to get used to but I know I picked the right field for myself because being inside the jail in the infirmary didn't really phase me, I actually enjoyed it!! Everybody has been super nice and helpful, like the office staff and our supervisors. The other 3 interns are really nice and I'm looking forward to getting to know them and working with them over the next year. Bonzai and I have pretty much got a good routine down, so I'm glad there hasn't been any problems with the transition. I do feel bad when I leave him in the morning because he's just cooped up in the apartment by himself all day but I do come home at lunch and I'm pretty sure he sleeps the entire time I'm gone, so I guess he's not that deprived!

This weekend is the first weekend in awhile that Bonzai and I have actually stayed in Bakersfield so it's been nice to get things organized and cleaned up around the apartment. Last weekend we went to Fresno and then back to my dad's since Vinny had a race near my dad's house. Friday night we got into Fresno and Bonzai had a play date with his buddy, Ozzy, a french bulldog. Then on Saturday, Vinny and I took Bonzai on his first trip to PetSmart, wow, did he enjoy that. He barked at the dogs in the doggie day care and every other dog he came in contact with. He also was super excited when any of the employees came up to pet him. He was pretty spoiled that day, he got 3 new toys and 2 packs of bones, treats at the checkout and then he got to hang out at Starbucks! The good thing is that we were actually able to get Bonzai into his harness, even though it took 3 of us to do it!! But since then I have had no luck with Bonzai letting me get his harness on him for his nightly walks. The next step for him is obedience school!

2 comments:

Brianne said...

I'm so glad to hear that everything is going good! That's awesome that your internship is going well so far...its gotta be nice to know that you are doing what you want to do. Hope we get to see you soon...and I still need to meet little Bonzai!

Unknown said...

So glad to hear life is treating you well in Bakersfield! Your little buddy is ADORABLE! That is totally coming from a NON-dog person! :) Hope to see you soon Jenn!